Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Nor'West Arch

The last week the weather has been fantastic.  Hot and sunny with temperatures in 30s.  That's Celcius, not Fahrenheit! My temperature guage got up to 31.6 on Sunday  In Auckland, that temperature would have come with extreme humidity and would have been uncomfortable. Not here.  It was a lovely dry heat and very very nice. I spent some of the day weeding the garden, reading in the sun, and shifting sprinklers around the lawn.  It's that time of year again when I have to water the lawn in regular shifts as it's so dry.  Between now and Autumn, that's my sole job.  Greenkeeper!!

It was a bit windy on Sunday during the day, but not overly so. That was the Northwester, bringer of warm weather so I didn't mind at all. As well as the warm weather it brings amazing sunsets which I was told was the Northwestern Arch. My neighbour saw me out taking photos and explained it to me. I looked it up on Wiki and it there it says it's 'peculiar' to the east coast of the South Island.

This is what it looked like from my deck early on, which is looking west.  But over a period of 10 minutes I got some spectacular cloud shots...





It literally looked like the sky was on fire and I simply had to stand and stare and on occasion had to lift my camera up and take a photo. I couldn't go inside and miss a minute...


In the end I walked out onto my road  when the street light turned on and started shooting from there...


I have been watching out for a repeat, but so far it hasn't happened. Just the normal amazing sunsets that I get every day, but not the spectacular sky on fire ones!

Bring on the Nor'Wester

4 comments:

Vivie said...

Beautiful sunsets Robyn!!

Gerry Hatrić said...

Stunning! My favourite is the first of the lampost shots.

Robert aka Mully

Anonymous said...

Thanks Vivie & Robert. I like the one with the lampost as well. I took a lot more photos, but just got the best up there. Even so it was hard to choose as the cloud formations changed very quickly!

Janene said...

How lovely! I particularly love the ones with the street lamps. They add such nice perspective. What color!